Digital Project Management
Delta Digital has a full Project Management capability. We assess, prioritise and plan successful digital change projects. This includes determining the scope of work and available resources, assigning resources, and setting expectations for project milestones. After an initial planning phase, we coordinate the project workload, manage the work, facilitate communication and collaborate between team members. We go on to produce project deliverables, and measure project results.
We use best practice from our IT background and digital experience. Read about ITIL in digital project management
All digital projects will have a Project Initiation Document (PID)
The purpose of the PID is to define the project, in order to form the basis for its management and an assessment of its overall success. The PID gives the direction and scope of the project and forms the ‘contract’ between the Project Manager and the Project Board.
The three primary uses of the PID are to:
- Ensure that the project has a sound basis before asking the Project Board to make any major commitment to the project.
- Act as a base document against which the Project Board and Project Manager can assess progress, issues and ongoing viability questions
- Provide a single source of reference about the project so that people joining the ‘temporary organization’ can quickly and easily find out what the project is about, and how it is being managed.
The PID is a living product in that it should always reflect the current status, plans and controls of the project. Its component products will need to be updated and re-baselined, as necessary, at the end of each stage, to reflect the current status of its constituent parts.
The version of the PID that was used to gain authorization for the project is preserved as the basis against which performance will later be assessed when closing the project.
The project initiation documentation should cover the following topics:
- Project definition
- Project approach
- Business case
- Project management team structure
- Role descriptions
- Quality management strategy
- Configuration management strategy
- Risk management strategy
- Communication management strategy
- Project plan
- Project controls
The project initiation documentation is derived from the project brief and discussions with user, business and supplier stakeholders for input on methods, standards and controls. The sooner Delta Digital is engaged in the project initiation the greater the chances of success. In our experience, it it best to engage the services of a digital project manager at the earliest opportunity to avoid uncontrolled growth in the project’s scope and choosing the wrong product.