The AMP Project is an open-source initiative aiming to make the web better for all. AMP enables web experiences that are consistently fast, beautiful and high-performing across distribution platforms. The Official AMP Plugin for WordPress supports fully integrated AMP publishing for WordPress sites, with robust capabilities and granular publisher controls.
Features and capabilities provided by the plugin include:
- Compatibility Tool: to assist the development of AMP experiences by enabling AMP debugging with detailed information about validation errors that may exist, the markup/scripts causing them, and the specific components on site (e.g theme, plugin, core) responsible for that page content.
- CSS Tree Shaking: to assist in dealing with cases where the defined CSS rules on a site exceed the CSS size limit allowed on single AMP pages.
- Core Theme Support: enabling full AMP validity for four default themes (i.e. Twenty Fifteen, Twenty Sixteen, Twenty Seventeen, Twenty Nineteen).
- Gutenberg Support: enabling AMP content creation fully integrated with Gutenberg.
- AMP-first Experiences support: enabling full-site AMP experiences without sacrificing the flexibility of the platform, or the fidelity of content.
- Many Optimizations: A myriad of code, performance, and developer experience improvements: from customization flexibility, to better UI flows, internationalization, accessibility, etc.
The plugin can be configured to follow one of three different template modes: Native, Transitional, and Reader. When configured to operate in Reader and Transitional modes, a given post/page will have a canonical URL as well as a corresponding (paired) AMP URL. The AMP plugin is not serving as a mobile theme; it does not redirect mobile devices to the AMP version. Instead, the AMP version is served to mobile visitors when they find the content on platforms such as Twitter, Pinterest, Google Search, and others.
With the official AMP plugin for WordPress, the WordPress ecosystem is provided with the capabilities and tools it needs to build world-class AMP experiences without deviating from its standard, flexible, and well-known content creation workflow.
To learn more about the plugin and start leveraging its capabilities to power your AMP content creation workflow check the official AMP plugin product site.